My personal experiences took me on an extensive journey of self-discovery, one that would ultimately lead to a complete overhaul of my life. I was adamant to break the cycle of generational trauma and to find a better path for myself. Personal psychotherapy was central to understanding and working through my own development and emotional world; also, to experience ‘being a client’ allowed me to understand the experience of psychotherapy from both perspectives. In addition to this, daily meditation and regular immersion in nature further contributes to my continued healing and learning. I bring these collective experiences to my work, which is further informed by several years of academic study.
In an earlier career, I lead an EMEA business function for a global technology company. Working in a corporate environment gave me a first-hand experience of the pressures of corporate culture and the personal and group challenges that can arise. After retraining, I gained an MSc in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and worked at several mental health organisations before setting up a private practice in Bloomsbury, London. My post graduate qualification encompasses Group Dynamics and therefore, as well as seeing individual clients with a broad range of mental health challenges I also have the professional expertise and personal experience to run group therapy sessions.
Just as the pandemic was emerging, I moved to the East Sussex countryside where I have moved my counselling practice outdoors. The move was borne out of my intimate relationship with nature and the profound effect it has had on my mental health and general wellbeing.
I also host Chadō tea ceremony and Kōdō incense ceremony. These meditative practices deeply enrich my life and provide me with a deep sense of serenity and peace, which I very much enjoy sharing with others. The origin of both the incense and tea is deeply rooted and connected to the natural rhythms and events as they take place in nature, which is enlivened through the use of fire and hot water. A beautiful representation of the human-nature exchange.
In addition to this, I have over thirteen years experience as a yoga and meditation practitioner and am qualified to teach both.
- 2021 - CPD Nature Based Psychotherapy, The Centre for Natural Reflection, Derbyshire
- 2010 to 2015 - MSc Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and Group Dynamics, Birkbeck, University of London
- 2001 to 2004 - BA (Hons) Integrated Marketing and Psychology, University of the Orange Free State, South Africa
- 2016 to 2017 - Yoga Teacher Training, YogaLondon
- 2016 to 2017 - Premium Mindfulness Teacher Training, Teach Mindfulness, London
- Registered and accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Yoga teacher training accredited by Yoga Alliance International
- Mindfulness Meditation training accredited by the Society of Holistic Therapists and Coaches
- Insurance includes Personal Indemnity and Public Liability
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Certificate
- Registered with the Information Commissioner's Office